The omega to the Call of Duty single player’s alpha, the multi player component is something that keeps players coming back even years after the game was released. Modern Warfare 2 will be taking the great multi player experience we are all familiar with and push it up to the next level. The fast paced, frenetic action we are so enthused with will be even faster and more frantic than it was in Call of Duty 4.
The multilayer component of Modern Warfare 2 will involve a whole bunch of new additions, enhancements, and refinements to the overall formula. Gone are many of the troublesome problems that plagued games such as the use of modified controllers to fire weapons as well as the problem of martyrdom grenades. Playlist improvements will also serve to shake things up thanks to the reintroduction of Capture the Flag to the series as well as a King of the Hill/Sabotage hybrid mode called demolition. Another new feature to be added is the ability, in certain online playlists and some private matches, to play in a third person perspective. This experiment may spread to official online playlists with time but at this point it is purely speculation.
The ranking system is back and this time more rewarding than ever before. Along with dozens upon dozens of new challenges to meet players also get rewards based on their performance. The level cap has once again been raised and this time is at 70 at which point players can enter prestige mode. No worries about the sacrifice though; players who prestige are rewarded for their efforts and they rank-up even faster than before.
Weapons in Modern Warfare 2 look to compliment the original selection as well as improve upon previous versions and introduce many more. The following is a list of confirmed weapons available to play with:
Assault Rifles: M16A4, M4A1, SCAR-H, FAL, ACR, AK-47, FAMAS, F2000, TAR-21
Sniper Rifles: M82 Baretta .50, M14 EBR, WA2000, .408 CheyTac
Submachine Guns: P90, MP5K, Mini-Uzi, UMP .45, Vector
Light Machine Guns: RPD, L86 LSW, AUG HBAR, MG4, M240
Semi-Automatic Pistols: USP .45, .44 Magnum, M9, Desert Eagle
Machine Pistols: PP-2000, M93 Raffica, Glock 18, TMP
Shotguns: SPAS-12, AA-12, Winchester 87, Striker, M1014
Projectile Explosive Launchers: AT4, Stinger, RPG-7 Launcher, Javelin, M79 Grenade Launcher
M67 Fragmentation Grenade, Tactical Insertion Device, C4, Semtex, Throwing Knife, Blast Shield, Riot Shield, Flashbang, Smoke Grenade, Stun Grenade
Players have a far greater amount of attachments available for both primary and secondary weapons.
Red Dot Sight
Under-slung Grenade Launcher
Akimbo Play: dual wield two secondary weapons
Full Metal Jacket: deep penetration, replaces Deep Impact perk from COD4
EOT Holographic Sight: Call of Duty 4 singleplayer-only sight
Rapid Fire: increased fire rate, replaces Double Tap perk from COD4
The big standout among the great features of Call of Duty 4 was the perk system that allowed players to modify their classes to their advantage. That system is back though this time it’s been overhauled to take advantage of the new experience system. Several perks can be leveled up depending on how much you use them. Stopping Power, for example, can be upgraded and more powerful than before. In addition to the standard allotment of perks players are also given what are called “death perks” that activate after a set amount of deaths without kills.
The following is a list of perks that are returning from the previous title:
- Sleight of Hand
- Stopping Power
- Martyrdom (death perk only)
- Steady Aim
- Last Stand
The following is a list of known new and modified perks:
- Bling: carry two attachments on your primary weapon (pro mode: carry two attachments on your sidearm)
- Marathon: unlimited sprint (pro mode: traverse obstacles faster)
- Scavenger: pilfer a dead body for a full ammo restock (unknown pro upgrade)
- Hardline: one less kill required to activate kill streak (pro mode: one less death required to activate death perk)
- Commando: increase melee attack distance (pro mode: no fall damage)
- Lightweight: move faster (pro mode: increase melee speed)
- One Man Army: ability to swap classes to while alive (pro mode: swap classes faster)
- Cold-Blooded: appear invisible sentry guns, UAVs, air support, and thermal sensors (pro mode: identification nametag does not appear red to enemies)
- Scrambler: jam radar of nearby enemies (pro mode: trip delay of claymore mines)
- SitRep: modified version of Bomb Squad, unknown effect (unknown pro upgrade)
- Ninja: appear invisible on heartbeat sensors (pro mode: player makes no noise when moving; modified version of Dead Silence)
- Danger Close: increased explosives damage, modified version of Sonic Boom (pro mode: increased kill streak attack power
That all you’re cleared for soldier; find out more when the game officially comes out next week. Dismissed!