Asus G71G is the latest and greatest 17” gaming 'laptop' from Asus, offering power that is rarely within the grasp of notebook users. Equipped with a nVidia GeForce 9800M graphics card with 512 MB of memory, the notebook should perform extremely well with even the most demanding games on the market today and perhaps even in the near future.
Besides the light show, the unit is rather sportily designed using black and red colours. Most of the ports for headsets and USB gear are located behind small red flaps on the sides of the notebook, making them harder to find and access even if they streamline the looks of the machine. We also wondered how easily they might be replaced if one of the lids broke off in rugged gaming contexts.
The whole unit weighs about 4 kilos or 8.5lbs, which makes it a bit on the heavier side, especially given its cumbersome size. As such, it will probably serve a double duty as a physical exercise device for smaller statured gamers. Personally, we both liked the actual looks of the machine, although we have some reservations about all the blinking and flashing LEDs that the designers have littered the unit with.
The specifications of the unit that we reviewed are as follows:
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 2.53GHz 6MB L2 cache, 1066 FSB
- Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800M GS 512MB GDDR3
- Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
- Memory: 4GB DDR2 800MHz (2GB+2GB+2GB)
- Display: 17.1" WUXGA (1920x1200) glossy
- Hard drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 2.5" (250GB x 2)
- Optical drive: 8X DVD/RW Double layer Super Multi Drive
- Ports & slots: 4x USB 2.0, HDMI, eSATA, IEEE 1394, Express card, 8-in-1 media card reader, VGA, microphone-in, headphone-out, Ethernet
- Wireless: Intel 5100 Link 802.11a/g/n
- Battery: 8-Cell 5200 mAh
- Other features: Built in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 2.0MP webcam
- Weight: 3.9kg
- Included accessories: Carrying case and optical mouse
- Dimensions: 41.05 x 29.95 x 4.55~6.0 cm (W x D x H)
There are variants of the G71 on the market with differently sized hard drives up to 1TB, so you should check that stuff out before making your purchasing decision.
Screen and graphics
The graphics card is nVidia GeForce 9800M GS 512MB GDDR3 and it certainly provides a fair share of power to the machine. The performance scores below, while not astounding for a desktop, are very high in the world of notebooks. Overall, the screen produces a very enjoyable picture quality both with movies and in games.
Asus G71G has four-channel Altec Lansing speakers, which produce very crisp and high quality sound – for a notebook. The volume goes up high enough to let you watch a movie without external speakers and the crashes and booms have satisfying depth both in games and in movies. Although you can always do better with external speakers, these do well for your everyday gaming needs if you are on the go.