Hooked Gamers

Welcome to the frontline of pc gaming

Hooked Gamers - frontline of pc gaming

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Praise a game? Rant about it? Or simply have a question about the one you're playing? You can do so here.
no avatar
User

ChrisPriestman

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Somerset, England

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Postby ChrisPriestman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:58 pm

I just need to talk about this game before I explode. I'm so excited!

I think it's going to be amazing and will blow me away...I hope!

Finding out new info, or seeing a new screenshot is becoming addictive for me. When November comes, I may have to quit life for a few months :)
Last edited by ChrisPriestman on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Wolfwood

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Southern Finland

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Postby Wolfwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm looking forward to it as well. Oblivion was a great game with a dullish plot, so - in order to create a great RPG - they only need to get the story right. The trailer videos have looked fantastic so far, so I'm hopeful... :)
User

CaptainPatch

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 pm

San Rafael, CA

Postby CaptainPatch » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Wolfwood wrote: Oblivion was a great game with a dullish plot,

I thought that the plot was okay, but the way the game actually works means that there is no concern about how quickly you do (or don't) race to the Grand Finale. That is, to me, a "gripping" plot drives you forward, to try to arrive where you need to be "in the nick of time". With Oblivion (and pretty much all Adventure games these days), it really doesn't matter if you get there in six days or six months. On the plus side, that allows you to explore every single subquest; on the minus side, there's absolutely no sense of urgency.

Additionally, my memories of Oblivion are soaked in sepia-toned ho-hum graphics. From what I've seen of Skyrim, the graphics are MUCH more vibrant and realistic depictions of Reality. [Then again, what we've seen are trailers = cutscenes, which rarely match the quality (or lack thereof) of the actual gameplay.]
User

Wolfwood

Rank

Site Admin

Southern Finland

Postby Wolfwood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

I got tired of Oblivion's gateways that kept opening everywhere. Don't really know how the plot would have unwound from there, since I stopped caring about it at that point. Never finished the main plot, but did enjoy many of the side quests.
no avatar
User

ChrisPriestman

Somerset, England

Postby ChrisPriestman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Yep, my main criticism (and I believe many a persons) problem with Oblivion was the repetition of going into the gates. This was of course made up with the many other things you could be doing instead.

Understandably I played the game by going to a gate, then having a good old explore for a few hours before going to the next one. As long as you mix it up a bit it was fine. Nevertheless, if you played through the main plot then you would find it becomes very grinding after a while.

I cannot remember how many hours it took me to complete the main plot but I remember thinking it was fairly short (if you don't include the rest of the game). I think it may have only taken me 20 hours for the main plot...but we are talking a few years back and I am just guessing because my overall playthrough was closer to 150 hours I think.
no avatar
User

ChrisPriestman

Somerset, England

Postby ChrisPriestman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 am

I have some new confirmed info on how the level scaling works in Skyrim. As we all know it is important for Bethesda to get this right, and balancing it for core and more casual players is certainly a challenge. Whereas others and I found Oblivion too easy with the enemies scaling up with you in Oblivion, others complained because it was too hard!

So, Level Scaling 2.0 as they call it is done it tiers. You will come across enemies within a range of levels. Say you are level 10, you will come across enemies from level 10 to 15 for instance. The next tier of enemies will come along once you reach level 16 and so on. This basically means you will not come across the really hard enemies anywhere in the game until you reach a certain level. Enforcing this means that some of the dungeons will not be available until you are in the right level tier. In other words, some dungeons contain level 43 enemies but these dungeons will be locked until you reach the right tier (level 40+).

I'm not sure what to think about this, but as long as it is a little more diverse than Oblivion I guess I'll be content :)

I don't like the idea of "locking" dungeons though :/
User

Wolfwood

Rank

Site Admin

Southern Finland

Postby Wolfwood » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

When I was a GM, I always thought that a warning was enough - of players either ignored the warnings or entered a strange dungeon without asking anyone about it, everything that happened was their own fault.

But, yes, level scaling is one if the big questions about Skyrim. Personally, I find that it makes the game world very illogical - if every highwayman is wearing emerald armour, how on earth are the city guards ever going to keep them out? There should be armed caravans going from city to city, protected by battalions of mercenaries...
User

CaptainPatch

San Rafael, CA

Postby CaptainPatch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:56 pm

ChrisPriestman wrote: Enforcing this means that some of the dungeons will not be available until you are in the right level tier.

Makes me think of many amusement park rides with an sign at the gate saying, "You must be at least this tall to go on this ride." :lol:

Seriously: Do characters go around with level meters mounted on their attire? That way the locals can see and say, "That dungeon is most likely too tough for you, so we won't tell you where it is. For your own good, of course. (Even though we have been plagued for years by the Evil that resides there and we're desperate to have that Evil eradicated.)"
User

RyanSandrey

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Glasgow, Scotland

Postby RyanSandrey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:
ChrisPriestman wrote: Enforcing this means that some of the dungeons will not be available until you are in the right level tier.

Makes me think of many amusement park rides with an sign at the gate saying, "You must be at least this tall to go on this ride." :lol:

Seriously: Do characters go around with level meters mounted on their attire? That way the locals can see and say, "That dungeon is most likely too tough for you, so we won't tell you where it is. For your own good, of course. (Even though we have been plagued for years by the Evil that resides there and we're desperate to have that Evil eradicated.)"

Maybe you have to have a certain amount of battlescars on your face. And maybe they are reluctant because the evil brings a lot of passing heroes to trade in the local area, and with a global recession, the Nords are feeling the pinch too. :lol:
User

CaptainPatch

San Rafael, CA

Postby CaptainPatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 pm

RyanSandrey wrote:Maybe you have to have a certain amount of battlescars on your face.

From the movie Magnificent 7:

Sotero: There's one - look at the scars on his face!
Hilario: The man for us is the one who GAVE him that face.
Chris: Hey. You learn fast.
User

Wolfwood

Rank

Site Admin

Southern Finland

Postby Wolfwood » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:59 am

If you didn't yet see this fabulous video material of the upcoming game (with some lousy interviewers), I'd recommend seeing it immediately:

http://uk.kotaku.com/5809807/nothing-bu ... m-gameplay

The level of detail (even on Xbox) is simply beautiful to see. And the roaming dragons and hunters etc. will certainly make the world feel very much alive.

I'm trying to resist getting my expectations up too high, but it is difficult...
no avatar
User

ChrisPriestman

Somerset, England

Postby ChrisPriestman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

OMG! Just a few days left now! xD

I hope you will all join me for an in-depth moan/praise of the game ;)
User

Wolfwood

Rank

Site Admin

Southern Finland

Postby Wolfwood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm going to delay my arrival to Skyrim until later. A lot of stuff I need to do before I let myself be drawn into a new game - AND I plan to spend the Christmas enjoying the time with the family, rather than with games.

So, my praise will have to wait until next year. :)
User

Ingvi

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Kópavogur, Iceland

Postby Ingvi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:18 pm

User

JoshMiller

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 pm

New York

Postby JoshMiller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank the lord I get veterans day off this Friday. Skyrim from Dawn until Dusk.
Next